Friday, July 11, 2008

Golden times with Misti Rangapisi - some cherished memories

This time Rangapisi has sent lots of sweets of SenMohasoy along with Ritu . I dont remember the last time I had sweets of SenMohasoy , maybe it was 5 -6 years ago.

Rangapisi has sent dorbesh and khirer chop .. these are few of the Bengali sweets one need to have in Bengal. There are so many Bengali food items, including sweets that it is hard to enumerate. I am having 2 sweets twice a day. Before leaving for office I have two of them with tea , and after reaching home I am having another two .

Rangapisi told me she had sent the sweets specially for Ma, because Ma loves sweets very much. When in Kolkata, Ma used to get it from Basanti Sweets , most of the times she had rossogolla and doi. When I used to go to Calcutta from Bangalore, I used to buy sweets every day , Ma used to have them as in-between-meals . When Baba was there with use he used to tell me, "Tor maar jonyo miste niye ashis to , maajhe maajhe dekhi fridge niye kheye nicche".

In my childhood days , we used to quarrel among ourselves ( me, Timmi, Pinki ) that who should go with Rangapisi. Going with Rangapisi was alluring, because we knew we would be getting a nice treat ,whereever she went .... be it the local fish market at Nagerbazar, or to a nearby movie show , or if it was New Market, Ma told us she would not be making dinner for us.

I remember in my childhood, during the evening ... around 7 p.m. , Rangapisi used to call one of us. She might have called for different reasons various times, but most of the time we assumed that she shall be going to the local fish market for vegetables, fish and other household stuff . Whoever was lucky that day, would accompany her to the market. .... if there were lot of shopping to be done, she would have preffered me, as there were lots of bags to carry .. otherwise it would either be Timmi or Pinki.

The fun started from the house itself. Nagerbazar was the closest market at that time, and it was a 10 minute walk from our house at Devinibash. But with Rangapisi along, we used to go by rickshaw. On reaching the market she continued with the regular marketing ; there were some shops Rangapisi used to buy vegetables from , in fact Dadu also used to take vegetables from them ... so Rangapisi also took from them. Well, marketing continued as usual ... we used to wait when shall it get over...becuase most of the time, we knew Rangapisi would take us to some eatery after the marketing was over.

There were a couple of them during my childhood . Pagoda, Alice and Madhurima ..... I dont know how many still exist among the above names ... but I remember Madhurima had closed down when I was in Kolkata itself, dont know about Alice and Pagoda .. they were pretty good resturants to us at that point of time.

Pagoda was a specailist in Chinese foods, in fact that was the only Chinese resturant in Nagerbazar at that time .. and it was quite well . About the price I think it was reasonable and within limits as the resturant was full most of the time, and we had to wait. Nagerbazar and Dum Dum were not a posh locality at that point of time, a very calm place from what it is today. The people in Pagoda had come to know us very well, as we frequented there often .. courtesy Rangapishi. Most of the time we had fried rice, chilli chicken or garlic prawn ... to me that dinner was the key to all the marketing I had done with Rangapisi. Sometimes we had the dinner there, and packed the same for Chotokaku and barir bacchader .... ( everyone below the age of Rangapisi was barir baccha). Sejokaku often commented that "bacchader modhye singh bhanga buro rao". ache.

Sometimes we had snacks in Alice, sometimes in Madhurima .... but Alice was the preferred one as it was near to the market . However, if Rangapisi did not take me along, I knew that I would get the share as I was one of "barir baccha" ...:-)

Years have passed, I have gone to better resturants ... even to seven star hotels.

But I shall cherish these memories for my entire lifetime .... they shall remain PRICELESS .

No comments: