Monday, October 6, 2008

Durga Puja 2008 has arrived

Godess Durga, in one of the Pandals of Calcutt...Durga Puja 2008 is here again. Normally during Durga Puja I go home at Dum Dum to enjoy the pujas in the true spirit . But this time I am staying back in Bangalore . This is not my first stay at Bangalore during the Pujas, I was there some time back at Koramangala too (Sarathi). At that time I was staying in Koramangala and the Durga Puja behind the house we resided .

We now stay at Old Aiport Road ( HAL ), Bangalore and one of the Durga Puja festivals are held opposite our house - in the Indian Army Air Force camps . Yesterday was Maha Sashti and we had visited the idol - it is always nice to see Durga Thakur everytime . It is THE greatest festivals of the Bengalis, and is celebrated world wide.

The Durga Puja lasts for 4 days , but it is the hearalding of the Puja which has all the fun in it . The Mahalaya rings in the bell - as after one week of it , Puja begins . The Bodhon is done on Maha Sasthi , and after that Saptami, Ashtami, Nabami and Dashami follows . Dashami draws an end to the Durga Puja as the idol is immersed on that day - preferably in the Holy Ganges .

During my childhood days we used to go out with Rangapisi, Pisimoni, Timmi and Chotokaku to buy new clothes. Then I used to burst crackers and toy pistols during the Pujas.

When I came out from Calcutta in 2002 I used to check out the Durga Puja sites on the internet - but never could I find the warmth and fun which I had in Calcutta .

Here in Bangalore , Durga Puja is celebrated with fervour and zest . Food lovers gather in flocks to the pandals as one gets to taste the best of Bengali food at this time of the year - otherwise they would have to travel places to get the same food.Panchamukhee durga puja 2006. Sandhya AratiDurga Puja
Though Durga Puja is a time when all the Bengalis wait ; unfortunately for some it becomes remembered as a period of greif and sorrow .

So for them Durga Puja is a time for sorrow. My mother in law breathed her last during Maha Dashami 2007 and life is not been the same for Ritu anymore . This year Ritu shall be performing her Ma's ( my mother- in - law) Bhatshorik this 10th Oct 2008 .

No comments: